Monday, October 17, 2016

Is this heaven? It's Iowa.

When we'd go visit my dad as kids, we had certain movies we'd watch over and over. Mostly in the vein of Star Wars and Monty Python movies (it sure explains a lot, doesn't it?), but once in a while we'd bust out other classics, like Field of Dreams. Keep in mind, my dad isn't a big sports guy by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe he liked the idea of baseball. Or maybe he just liked Kevin Costner (that would explain the Waterworld years...). Who knows. Whatever it was, that movie ended up in our regular rotation.

((Note: we also went to the field itself. I got a t-shirt there. It's white and shows a cornfield, and when you wear it out in the sun, baseball players appear in the cornfield. And when you love it and wear it and wash it for ten years, eventually the players stay out all the time - there's probably a life lesson there somewhere...))

Genuinely not sure what got me thinking about this particular film today. I was probably still post-funk musing over life. Trying to figure out if I'm "on track" for where I want to be and what I want to be doing, etc. Determining next steps and goals for general life doings.... Okay, really, it was thirty. Thirty is coming. While I still have plenty of months to go, when it hits and someone asks me if I accomplished everything I wanted to and if I'm where I want to be for thirty, well, I want to be able to tell them that I crushed it in the two decades prior, bring on the next. That looming birthday has my brain running in all sorts of directions.

Which brings me back to Field of Dreams. Having not seen it in ten years, l still recall my biggest take-aways from it. Some little life lessons that weren't spoken by a disembodied voice, but that a teenage girl somehow mustered out of what some call a "sports" movie.
  • It's not about where you live, it's about what you make of it. Whether it's a corn field in the middle-of-nowhere Iowa or a city in Wisconsin. Wherever you are, the one thing you can control is your own actions and your own happiness. So make the most of where you are and bring your aspirations to life wherever you may be.
  • Sometimes you have to take a big risk to get a reward. That reward may not be what you expected, and it may take awhile to get there, but if you're lucky, it'll be worth it. Dream big, take a leap of faith, give it a go. Better than looking back later and regretting that you didn't try. 
  • Who cares if people think you're a nutter. There will always be haters, but the ones who love you will support you when you need supporting. And, more importantly, they'll be honest with you when you've gone off the rails, but will figure out a way to help you achieve your goals anyway.
  • You can learn a lot about yourself through helping others. Even if they don't want your help.
  • It really is the little things. Life has a lot of stressors, but don't be afraid to step back and look at the big picture. Relax, enjoy yourself, and realize how valuable time is. Have the dog and the beer. That little dose of clarity can help realign everything and put it right again.
  • It's always better to forgive. Grudges can last a lifetime, and more often than not you'll regret having held onto them.
Time to build my own Field of Dreams
If you build it...
  • Always appreciate family and value your time with them. Someday, they won't be around any longer, and all that will remain of them will be your memories. Make them and cherish them. And yes, go "have a catch" with your damn dad already.
  • Nostalgia is king. People just want to be reminded of "all that once was good and could be again." They'll do anything to get a piece of that 'member-berry pie. Sometimes it's wholesome, and sometimes it's not. Indulge occasionally, but don't get so wrapped up in chasing the past that you neglect the present (like your bills). 
  • Use your imagination. You're never too old to hope and envision a brighter world. Every so often, the voices in your head aren't totally crazy.
  • Read works by passionate people. Don't like, go kidnap them at any point, but taking the time to read and learn about someone who was (or is) very passionate (especially if it was during an era of change/reform) can help give a unique perspective.
  • Don't wait for tomorrow. Jump in now and look at each day like a new adventure. After all, to quote the doc, "At the time, you don't think much of it. You know, we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." Seize it and treasure it, because you may not get another chance.
As I rush towards the thirty year mark, I reflect more and more on what I learned from my "youth" but somehow forgot along the way. Yeah, I often frame it in the context of some sort of pop culture reference, but as long as it's somehow inspirational in a good way, what's the harm in that? (#amirite) If at some point you see a blog post about how I've kidnapped a famous author and am conversing with ghosts (OR more alarmingly, have moved to Iowa and suddenly like baseball), well... definitely throw an intervention then. But in the meantime, I'll start making up a plan to see if I can't build a place where dreams come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment