Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Soldiers in Petticoats

It's voting day, America. And I feel like I've taken a giant patriotism adrenaline needle straight to the chest, Pulp Fiction style.

This election has been so ridiculous, in so many ways. Whatever side of the aisle you live your life on, there's no denying that. It feels like we've been watching this unfold for years and years, all of it culminating tonight, when (hopefully) we'll know our nation's fate: one way or another. ((If you're going to pray for anything: let it be that there's a landslide, so we don't have a nation divided for the next four years, and let it be that we know the results tonight, so we don't have another "hanging chad" situation to drag this out further.))

No matter where you stand, the one thing you need to do: cast your vote. If you have an excuse as to why you won't be voting, please let me know and I'll happily take that excuse out back and let you return to performing your civic duty. Too many people over the centuries fought to keep this basic right, so don't waste it. And, if the presidential race is the one that has you in a tizzy - there are other important items up for vote. No. Excuses. Let your voice be heard through your ballot; without it, your post-election complaining will fall on deaf ears, because your voice will literally not have counted in the process.

Four years ago: My polling place at the time was an elementary school. After voting, upon leaving the building I saw two young girls, one holding up a music book and the other holding a violin and playing a very broken version of "America the Beautiful." It didn't matter how happy or angry the election was making people, it was clear: we're all Americans, we're all just folks. THAT is how election day makes me feel: proud and patriotic.

The past year: The media has swung in every direction, showing messages of hate (from both sides). The truth has been stretched, broken and jabbed. Awful things have been underplayed, as jokes and mere entertainment. Small things have been overplayed, as awful and unforgivable. Messages have been muddied. The world has been watching as a great nation has pandered to the jeering masses and let loose the circus. (A circus whose finale determines the fate of the world economies.) Sure, some of it's been entertaining, but mostly it's just been horrifying. THAT is how election day makes me feel: anxious.
America the beautiful, indeed!
Give peace a chance, friends.
The election charade is almost over, time to get
back to working together and getting things done.
This morning: I woke up in a fervor of excitement. Unable to vote before work due to an early meeting, there were others up at dawn in my apartment building. I smiled to one, saying, "Happy Election Day!" to which she responded, "Heading to get in line at the polls now to beat the rush!" We high-fived. Yes. Two strangers, at 6:15 am on a Tuesday randomly high-fived. Because this country is a beautiful place. I have no clue what political affiliation that woman is, all that mattered was a shared appreciation for the opportunity to be heard. THAT is how election day makes me feel: excited.

This afternoon: I'll be in line (I hope) to vote. The weightiness of the decision not lost on me, I cannot wait to say that in this unforgettable election, I picked which side of history I wanted to be on. No matter how it turns out, my ballot represented my voice. And the voices of all those before me who didn't live to see this day (who I think would be pretty damn proud to have a woman finally have a real chance at representing our nation on the world stage). You can bet there will be tears tonight. I hope they're tears of joy.

THAT is how election day makes me feel: like we're at a turning point.
This is it. Don't get scared now.
Voting for Hillary Clinton today
Yeah, I'll say it... I'm with Her.

No comments:

Post a Comment