Thursday, July 2, 2015

Rock Out(side of my personal space)

My inner 90 year old woman is a real crank when it comes to concert etiquette. Having been a small town girl, I wasn’t a legit concert goer until my adult years. I totally support the youths attending musical events, but I don’t support idiot youths under any circumstance, so… therein lies the problem of attending large music festivals.
YOUTHS. Youths...everywhere.

Since I love me a good list (with a story or two tied in), here are my top SIX rules of concert etiquette (for festivals, without any assigned seating, not regular concerts):

1) If you want to be up front, show up early and hold your ground
Do NOT show up twenty minutes before the show and drunkenly shove your way through the crowd. I don’t care if you “have a friend up there” that you’re “trying to get back to.” Everyone “has a friend up front.” Shouting a random name doesn’t help. And if there really is someone up there, then too bad, you shouldn’t have left that friend; you can’t go back, just accept it. Also, if you do start trying to push your way closer, people are squeezing together to let you through usually. When you stop because you realize you can’t get closer, you have just pissed off EVERYONE around you who is now sandwiched awkwardly together. Don’t be jovial about it; just back the fuck out to where you came from because there is no space here (in the inner circles of hell). Stack on and add a new layer to the outside edges, like a proper person. This is especially true for TALL people. Don’t stop in front of me and say, “This looks good enough.” Because I’ll head butt you in the small of your back until you move, you giant.

2) Keep your sins to yourself
    • If you want to drink up a storm, cool, I support it. Just don’t spill your beer on me when you’re trying to bust a drunken move, please. And if you’re severely underaged, that counts double. 
    • If you want to smoke some illegal drugs, that’s your thing, boo. Just don’t blow smoke on me or light up so often that everyone within 20 yards has a contact high (also: it’s still illegal in this state, so maybe hit it beforehand and not in public during the show?). 
    • If you want to get it on with some cute thang you found at the show, get a room. I don’t want to look up/over and realize that I’m the accidental love child of two people hooked up while basically on top of me. Or have my ass grabbed on accident (several times) by some stoned guy reaching for someone else’s lovely lady lumps
        3) Do not engage
        If there’s a fight, someone provoking you, or you get shoved/pushed… just don’t engage. You’ll likely make it worse and possibly end up shanked in a crowd, where no ambulance (aka medi golf cart) can get to you and you’ll quietly just get trampled to death due to your weakened state.
        Cue my sister at the Third Eye Blind concert. When a scrawny Gen-Xer fell on her while dancing with his spacy blond girlfriend, she shoved him right back. Most men, when you push them, will not move/will hold their ground. However, not being fully cognizant of where he was even, he instead went flying. I promptly opted to remove us from that concert, for fear of retaliation, but we departed to general applause from onlookers. One gent even proclaimed her as his hero, saying he wished he could have a t-shirt with her face on it, because that was badass. Don’t bank on this support from the crowd; assume that retaliation leads to getting shanked. Don’t be a hero. NOTE: this largely depends on the show as well (see #4).

        4) Know your audience
        Adjust your actions depending on the show. Jumping around like crazy and head-banging the whole concert is slightly less appropriate when you’re at Hall and Oates. If you’re going to retaliate when someone runs into you, the Third Eye Blind concert is a better place to do it than at the Slayer concert – Gen Xer’s are too jaded to fight back.

        5) Don’t crowd surf (period)
        Just don’t. If you really want to get violated by strangers, do it on your own time, don’t do it when I’m trying to watch a show. Especially if you’re trying to surf TOWARDS the stage, because no one can see you coming, so you end up risking injury to yourself and others.
        At the very packed Walk the Moon show (why they got put on a small/free stage, I’ll never know), after hours of getting my ass kicked by the ever pressing crowd, getting nearly choked by my own necklace, getting stepped on, pushed about, spilled on, etc. by all the youths, I was pretty well at my wit’s end. That’s when the highest white chick you ever saw came and surfed her foot right into my head. Her friends were shouting words of encouragement, urging the crowd to pass her forward. But the second she hit me, I was done. I hulked out as she came above me and wrenched her down, saying, “No effin’ way, sweetheart, you’re done, you’re coming down.” I was like a mom lifting a car off of her child: pure adrenaline and rage. I held and safely lowered to the ground a girl who was at least of equal body weight, and about as mobile as a sack of potatoes. AKA I was awesome.
        NOTE: the exception to this rule is if you’re with the band. The Flaming Lips literally put their lead singer in a hamster ball and he rolled over the crowd while singing. That is not only the awesomest thing ever; it’s also the only acceptable form of crowd surfing.

        6) Wear deodorant, please
        When there are so many people packed into a small space, in the summertime, for hours, all dancing around and drunk… sweat happens. Please put on your deo. Because otherwise, every time you put your hands up, because they’re playing your song, the butterflies will not fly away…. they’ll just die… because you stink.

        So go get your groove on, friends, and enjoy the summer festival season. Just follow the rules, and don’t get to the point where you become THAT guy / girl…

        Note that most of these stem from the events of this past Saturday night at the our-music-fest-is-better-than-yours event of the year: Summerfest.

        No comments:

        Post a Comment