Thursday, October 22, 2015

Busy Doing Something Close to Nothing

Life has been, shall we say, "busy" lately. All the adult points have been had. All the events planned, attended, documented via endless photos and social media postings, etc. Good times for all as we raced through the summer and into early fall.

Time flew. It flew like a kid on roller blades down a steep hill. At first it seems like a great idea, but as the momentum gathers the gleeful delight turns into a shriek as the kid realizes they can't slow down. Eventually they throw themself off the sidewalk and onto the grass in a tumbled attempt to stop. All the chaos, all the flailing arms, all the scrapped elbows. But at least they stopped before they flew out into the busy traffic at the intersection (that's always what's at the bottom of the hill). The flight has come to an abrupt halt. It was quite the ride.

That was me, hurtling into this past Sunday.

I awoke to silence. The calm after the storm. And I realized - I have no obligations to anyone today. OR this week. Looking around me, I literally almost didn't even know what to do with myself. So naturally, I went back to sleep.

Upon waking again, still silence. The beau was away at work, and I knew I should go get my car and head back to my place but... my place was full of things to do. Chores. Dishes. Cleanup from the weeks of chaos. Windows to weather proof. Laundry to tend to. My place, in other words, was simply not on the agenda. I had at least five remaining hours of total alone time, I wasn't about to give that up to a silly thing like responsibility.

Making the executive decision that the TV was to remain off, I wandered about aimlessly. I could go for a walk maybe? Enjoy the day? No, today was lazy day. No leaving the apartment at all. The world was too busy. Staring down the silence, I started to list out possibilities. Work out? Look through and edit all my photos from the day before? Impromptu solo dance party? All of it somehow sounded like work. So, after some mild cleaning/organizing (it's not a burden when it's helping another person, instead of dealing with my own crap), I settled into the couch and nested.

Nesting is an all-time favorite hobby of mine. Gathering pillows, blankets, miscellaneous snacks and twigs, etc. into a giant heap (in this case, on the couch itself) and burrowing in. Once nested, reading a book, napping, listening to music or just laying about are all fair game. After constructing and cozying up into my new fluffy home, I got anxious about not getting anything done. I'd resolved to be lazy, but after such a constant rush forward, the abrupt halt was too much. To compromise, I pulled out the laptop and perused endless recipes and organizing tips. Things I'll never actually cook or apply to my life, but that I simply adore reading about. Could spend days looking at tips and tricks. But that soon too felt like work.

By this time I realized though that it was merely an hour before the man of the house returned. I'd not eaten anything other than a chocolate croissant (which I was now casually wearing all about my shirt), showered, or hardly moved for hours. In a daze, I fled the nest and began quick deconstruction. Being lazy for an entire day made me feel oddly stressed as it was, I couldn't handle the wry smile and thinly-veiled judgement in the phrase, "So, what'd you do today?" as he gazed upon my elaborate blanket fortress, croissant crumb necklace and bedraggled appearance.


Frankie says...
(I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of pants in this photo)

Into "real-person" mode I went. Still having an hour worth of precious slothy seconds, I lazily read all the bottles in the shower and enjoyed the hot water. I know, it's awful, water waste is awful; but I frickin' love reading the bottles. The marketing for such a simple thing like shampoo can be ridiculously witty and brilliant. Know that I'm reading, shower bottle content writers. I care what you're writing... Anyway, shower. Hair. Makeup. Actual people clothes (ish). Door opens. Just in time. Pulled off a casual, "Yep, nothing special today, just relaxing," and settled into the evening, getting ready for the work week ahead.

NOW, it's not like there wasn't a to-do list a mile long that I could've been addressing. It's that, some days, adulting isn't in the cards. Some days, the most adult thing you can do is nothing at all. A little reset. Sometimes you have to make a point of doing something close to nothing, just walk in through the out door, wear that raspberry beret (the kind that one might find at a second-hand store, if you will)... Okay that got out of hand.


Anyone else feel guilty about having a lazy do-nothing day? 
Or about randomly incorporating Prince lyrics into everyday life?

No comments:

Post a Comment