Wednesday, February 1, 2017

The '017 Files: Feb

In this month's edition of "get-yo-shit-together-girl": 2017 is one month gone and a Disney vacation looms!

Let's start with a recap on January. This was the month of the bear. One minute, I was in deep winter hibernation mode, hiding from the world in my cave, in a social slumber. The next, a mama bear, protecting the rights and fighting for her cubs at the Women's March. Then it was onto being a loveable teddy bear, squeezed in the arms of someone who loves me so much they might pop my head off (that's an "alternative fact," I was actually a monster during that time, but loved nonetheless). And above all, a roly-poly Pooh Bear. Wintertime is awful, I miss being too-busy and I hate the dreary weather (there hasn't even been snow to be pretty - if I'm going to be cold, it can at least look pretty out).

So, as for the January gameplan - things went pretty alright. Here's a summary on how my list from last month actually worked out in real life:

Habit Forming:
  • Aced it on the daily flossing, tea for breakfast (in place of cocoa), and five squats before I pee (which was confusing for several people, I'm sure). 
  • Packing my lunch the night before? Eh, that was just okay. Hit or miss. Mostly my usual morning scramble to toss something in my work bag, only to find out later that the lid was loose and there is stirfry in my wallet. Room for improvement, we'll say.
Tracking:
  • Exercise tracker - solid and far exceeded all my goals. Which means I was probably going easy on myself and just set my goals too low. Thanks, past self, for the ego boost due to low estimation! Will estimate properly going into February.
  • Daily "must do" calendar - pretty much crushed it. I cheated a few times and shuffled things around, added some things just so I'd have more to check off, etc. but overall pretty well done.
  • Daily weight tracking - this girl has some work to do. Days were tracked but the numbers were not always so nice.
  • Journaling - absolute fail. Nada. Didn't do zilch. Two days in I realized this one was a wash. Maybe some other time.
Be more invested: this one will be an ongoing bit. I'd consider this one a "roll over" item for the next eleven months...
She's making a list, and checking it twice... 
Which brings us into February! It's the shortest month, so it needs to pack a punch. And to be honest, I started out my items for the month on Monday, so, sorry January I stole some of you. MOSTLY because I need to ramp it up before our trip to Orlando, which kicks off on the 25th. Here is what's on the to-do this time around, let's see if we can't stick to it!

Habit forming
  • WATER - Need to focus on hydrating like a mother this month. A) Water is good for weight loss because it flushes the system and makes you feel fuller longer, or something something science and B) last time I went to a theme park I had a nasty encounter with wicked bad dehydration and I basically want to preemptive strike that from ever happening again. Aiming for 5 big glasses a day at work and 3 at home, which means I'll be peeing every five minutes... which means lots of squats. So. Double win! 
  • 15 minute walk break at work every day. Currently I do this some days, but all the coworkers who I've bullied into going on walks have been moving on to new jobs. Soon enough I'll be walking alone, but I still need to keep at it. It's a good mental health break and will hopefully prevent me from eventually dying at my desk.
  • Posture posture posture. Goodness do I need to work on this. Since my desk is already killing me (see above), the least I can do is not die a hunchback.
  • Less complaining. Holy cow, I've been cranky lately. Call in the mid-winter jicker if you will, but damn, need to cool it and quit being such a Debby-D. Working on shutting down some of my complaining. Only room to discuss improvement ideas for shitty situation, must block out the pure ranting and raving.
  • Smile every time I look in a mirror. I mean, I usually do this to check if there's anything in my teeth anyway, but I'm going to make an extra effort to give myself a big old grin as an affirmation: look at that sexy beast beaming back at you, because you're frickin' crushing it today.
  • Dress the part (#bosslady) and not be lazy about my attire at work. It's easy when there's no real dress code. Come on closet full of clothes, don't let me down! (note: shall rock the pantsuit in similar fashion as Paul does in that video #britswag) 
Tracking
  • Having shorter daily "must do" list, but keeping up on that housework 
  • Still tracking weight and exercise daily - ramping up the exercise goals so I try a bit harder this go of it
  • Adding on tracking for calories and sugar grams to get that beach bod (I know it's in there somewhere!) ready for, well... the beach. 
See you again in March, old friend...
"Big Goals" 
  • Do NOT pack like an asshat for Florida. I always overpack, but not this time!
  • Do my taxes... without my mom. Because I should pretend to be an adult and do them myself. (If I end up in jail for doing something wrong, I'll look back on this with regret, I promise.)
  • FINALLY finish up getting our passports renewed. I've been too vain to go in for the photo. The previous one was glasses and braces though, so really, it's all up hill from there and I shouldn't worry so much. 

Since the first couple months are really the jumping off point for the rest of the year, I'm glad that my goal making and taking has gone well. The attitude will adjust as the sun begins to shine (and as executive orders stop being written), and in the meantime I'll just try to keep the bear in check. Let's hope February is more like the month of the mermaid... 

No comments:

Post a Comment